Objective of IMA
The objects of the Association are:
- To promote and advance medical and allied sciences in all their different branches and to promote the improvement of public health and medical education in India.
- To maintain the honour and dignity and to uphold the interest of the medical profession and to promote co-operation amongst the members thereof;
- To work for the abolition of compartmentalism in medical education, medical services and registration in the country and thus to achieve equality among all members of the profession.
- For the attainment and furtherance of these objects the Association may-
- Hold periodical meetings and conferences of the members of the Association and the medical profession in general.
- Arrange from time to time congresses, conferences, lectures, discussions and demonstrations on any aspect of the medial and allied sciences.
- Publish and circulate journal, which shall be the official organ of the Association of a character specially adapted to the needs of the medical profession in India and which shall undertake publicity and propaganda work of the Association through its columns and publish other literature in accordance with the objects of the Association.
- Maintain a Library and an Association Office.
- Publish from time to time transactions and other papers embodying medical researchers conducted by the members or under the auspices of the Association.
- Encourage research in medical and allied sciences with grants out of the funds of the Association by the establishment of scholarships, prizes or rewards and in such other manner as may from time to time be determined upon by the Association.
- Conduct educational campaign amongst the people of lndia in the matter of public health and sanitation by cooperating, whenever necessary, with different public bodies working within the same object.
- Organise medical corps for providing medical relief during epidemics and in times of emergency.
- Consider and express its views in all questions and the laws of lndia or proposed legislation affecting public health, the medical profession and medical education and initiate or watch over or take such steps and adopt such measures from time to time regarding the same as may be deemed expedient or necessary.
- Purchase, take lease of or otherwise acquire, hold, manage, let, sell, exchange, mortgage or otherwise dispose of movable or immovable property of every description and all rights or privileges necessary or convenient for the purpose of the Association and in particular any land, building, furniture, household or other effects, utensils, books, newspapers, periodicals, instruments, fittings, appliances, apparatus, conveyance and accommodation as and when deemed necessary or desirable in the interest of the Association, sell, demise let, hire out, mortgage, transfer or otherwise dispose of the same.
- Erect, maintain, improve or alter and keep in repair any buildings for purpose of the Association.
- Borrow or raise money in such manner as the Association my think fit and collect subscriptions and donations for the purpose of the Association.
- Invest any money of the Association not immediately required for any of its objects in such manner as may from time to time be determined by the Association.
- Assist, subscribe to or co-operate or affiliate or be affiliated to or amalgamate with any other public body whether incorporated registered or not, and having altogether or in part objects similar to those of the Association.
- Create or assist in creating Branches for any of the purposes aforesaid.
- Do all such other things as are cognate to the objects of the Association or are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the above objects.
[Source Page 1-2 of the constitution]